Thursday, July 4, 2013

California, Here I Come!

7/3/13: Wednesday, July 3: The Ol' Stompin' Grounds: Looking back on yesterday, I marveled as I went at how lonely U.S. Highway 6 is through Nevada. I've seen U.S. Highway 50 called "The Loneliest Road," but it's hard for me to imagine that anything could be emptier than the Basin and Range province between Delta, UT, and Bishop, CA, where Highway 6 officially now ends. (I must get another photo of the sign outside Bishop to complement the ones I took outside Provincetown, MA.) Between Delta and Baker, NV, Baker and Ely, Ely and Tonopah, Tonopah and Bishop, there is NOTHING except dry mountain ranges separated by immense flat, mostly dry valleys. The breadth of the valleys makes it hard for me to appreciate the sheer number of mountain ranges, even though Nevada is the most mountainous state in the Union. So obviously, what this speaks to, is my underestimation of the sheer size of the state!

   I cried when I crossed the border into California, and I cried again when the highway cleared the Benton Hills and I could see the Sierra Nevada at last. SO BEAUTIFUL! Nothing like them, not even the Rockies.

   I couldn't find a garage to fix Maybelline today, so I saw friends in the valley and, luckily, Shirley Blumberg, who just happened to be coming down to Bishop today. She and I had a great lunch at Whiskey Creek, and she got me caught up on a lot of Mammoth news. Daniel stopped by the motel with Sam to confirm that it was okay to drive Maybelline home. This evening, I had dinner at Yamatani with Bob Lamia, and then we went for a lovely drive in the very pleasant evening -- I really enjoyed that!

   Can't figure out why I'm so tired, except that maybe it's the stress of driving with the CHECK ENGINE light on over the past two days. Stress might also have something to do with a sudden rash in a place I won't disclose, a rash that was getting worse and not better until today!

No comments:

Post a Comment