Wednesday, June 12, 2013

6/11/13: Tuesday, June 11: The Big "Lemme Get Outta This Rain!" Day. What started as a sunny day has by 11 AM deteriorated to cloudy with occasional light showers, dammit. I may just "motel" it this evening. I need a bath before I kill everything that smells me, but last night I was unwilling to wade through the rain to the showers and too chicken to stand naked under the downpour.
  I just started reading James McPherson's The Battle Cry of Freedom, a book about the conditions leading to the Civil War and about the Civil War itself, highly recommended by stories-tour guide Wes. I think this is going to be a really good read! Tim recommended a book by Coddington; must read next.
   Doped off till 1 PM in the Gettysburg KOA (checkout time is 2 PM there). It turned out to be a nearly dry day all the way, though not all the way to Port Jervis, NY. I've fetched up a little shy of there, in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains (pretty little beggars) at an NPS campground in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Hot diggity! I didn't expect to see either the Poconos or the Delaware Water Gap, so I'm thrilled!
   It was getting on to 8 PM and getting a bit dim, and I had seen two road-killed deer. I didn't want to be the next person to hit a deer. Out here, both deer and driver typically get killed. So when I saw the Campground sign on the highway -- US Highway 209 -- I flipped on the turn signal. (It's a private campground within the national recreation area.)
   I just evicted a June bug from my quilt. Poor thing is probably wandering around in the dark, looking for its Gettysburg home. New bugs are pinging off my lights, and there are a couple of funny little bugs that travel by flipping themselves over very effectively, like giant fleas.

No comments:

Post a Comment