Tuesday, June 4, 2013

6/4/13: Tuesday, June 4: This is the Blue Ridge Parkway, Day 1! What a glorious treat! As much as I hated to leave the Smokies, this road is really beautiful. I stopped to get some nature guides at the visitor center at the foot of Waterrock Knob and then hiked the short but very steep trail up the knob to great views.

   The road is so well-laid-out, with numerous pull-outs for viewpoints, though it is very winding. I think someone actually mows the grass on the shoulders! Lucky me, the traffic was light enough that I judged I could get away with doing 35 mph tops instead of the limit, 45 mph. With all the pull-outs, I was able to get out of others' way when I needed to.

   Now I'm in the KOA in Swannanoa, NC (it calls itself "Asheville East"), enjoying the convenience of hookups and wifi. Oh, I do love hookups and wifi, but I wouldn't have missed those nights in the Smokies for anything!

   Tomorrow, back on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's long: 469 miles that I hope to finish on Friday. I am so lucky to be able to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment