Thursday, June 6, 2013

6/6/13: Thursday, June 6: What Am I Doing in Boone, NC?! Increasingly long patches of dense fog drove me off the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday evening, so I holed up at the KOA in Boone, NC. Even down here (3,333 ft.), it got very foggy at night, and then the fog turned to rain. It seems to have dried up for now, but I can see that the clouds are still dark and thick over the mountaintops. I'm staying here a second night and shall leave Friday.

   I was up till after 3 AM trying to figure out what to do -- to make a new plan. Didn't get to bed till 4 AM+ but did wake up with a new plan: Instead of trying to get back on the parkway, which given the current and predicted weather is a lost cause, I'll head west to pick up I81 in Tennessee and take it northeast through Virginia.

   The weather will still be bad in the mountains Friday, but I81 roughly parallels the Blue Ridge, though much lower down and to the west. It's marked as "scenic," which is surprising for a freeway. It's 236 miles from Boone to Roanoke, VA, and maybe I can catch the last 120 miles or so of the Blue Ridge Parkway beginning Saturday, when the sunshine comes back!

   Uh-oh, 10:30 PM and it's raining again. Gotta go to bed. THESE are the nights for which Dalmane was made!

No comments:

Post a Comment