Thursday, May 16, 2013

5/16/13, Thursday, The Big Mountains -- The Big Lesson: I rose at 6 AM today to get ready to meet Carol Robinson at 10 AM at the Palisades Visitor Center for a hike. So excited I…needed Lomotil today. I also decided to move to the adjacent campsite, as it looked more level. What a disaster. I moved, all right, but as I backed out of the new site to go meet Carol, I reversed a little too much and backed right into that deep hole in the ditch. My rear tires had no purchase; I was stuck. A couple of camp hosts came by and commiserated, expressing the hope that I hadn't damaged the van permanently. The tires looked hopelessly splayed out. I hadn't heard any terrible noises, but….Meanwhile, they offered me a ride to their site where there was a telephone I could use to call AAA.
   A woman came down with a video camera to take footage of my van's awkward position. I could have done without the attention!
   Thank goodness for AAA RV coverage! A tow truck was out in an hour or so and pulled me out. The mechanic and the camp host looked over and under the van and pronounced themselves astonished that there was no apparent damage!
   I decided to go back down to find a cheap motel in town, where, if the tires subsequently deflated or the van shed enormous puddles of oil or transmission fluid, I'd at least be within limping distance of a service station or garage. So here I am, at a former Motel 6, now a Rodeway Inn, having napped and read the afternoon away. Now I'm about to shower and sleep. I called Carol when I got here to make my blushing apologies; I've not heard from her yet.
   The van, perfectly level now, lets me open the main access door with no problem. I've cranked the refrigerator up so far, everything will probably freeze in both compartments.
   Off to Deming, NM, tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment