Wednesday, May 22, 2013

5/19/13: Sunday, The Big Windy. Pine Springs Campground here in Guadalupe Mtns. NP is periodically wildly windy. It blew all night last night, and the van creaked, popped, and protested so I got almost no sleep. What little sleep I got was dogged by nightmares. I expected to hear the canvas rip and the roof fly away any minute.
   I lowered the roof partway and later on added security to it with some bungee cords I had on hand. Tonight, I'll take a sleeping pill and possibly put in earplugs, and tomorrow I'll leave. Two nights of howling winds are enough. I don't feel like trying to like this place any more. I was hoping to hear the coyotes sing, but the wind drowned them out.
   Shoot me Tuesday, but I can't take the wind another night.
   I'll go up to see McKittrick Canyon first -- the park's riparian beauty spot -- no campground there -- and at least hike the nature trail there before heading south  for nearby Van Horn, TX, just off I10, where there are 2 RV parks. Then I'll further alter my itinerary by going to Sonora instead of Ft. Stockton so as to be closer to San Antonio for the final push.
   I spent most of the morning lazing abed, but I did walk to the Visitor Center around 4:30 PM. It was already closed, but the information displays let me identify a number of plants I'd been guessing at, like mountain mahogany.

No comments:

Post a Comment