Wednesday, May 22, 2013

5/22/13: Wednesday, The Big Wildflowers. Driving east from Sonora, TX, to San Antonio, TX, I saw the most amazing roadside displays of wildflowers in the median and on the shoulders. Delicate coneflowers, that mint with the blue-and-white spikes, yellow and orange "belly flowers," and others I couldn't identify without driving -- AAAAAACK! -- into a ditch.
   The countryside grew more and more hilly as those big, layered tablelands of limestone became more frequent. I need a geology lesson here. These aren't reefs, and I presume caps of erosion-resistant materials as well as the carving actions of water and wind are responsible for the landscape relief-- but I'd like to know for sure.
   I called Nancy Fix Anderson from a gas station in Sonora, and we'll get together for a late supper tonight. Don't anyone tell her I may sneak out to see the new Star Trek movie tomorrow while she's busy most of the day. At least I'll get to see her, unlike my bad luck at seeing Carol Robinson (DIDN'T get to -- my bad). Nancy and I were roommates at Stanford in Italy way back in 1960-61.
   Now I'm deep in the wilderness of urban San Antonio -- AAAAAACK, the big city! Far and away the biggest since I left the San Diego area. The route to the motel -- a Motel 6 on Kenley Place -- was a looping, tangled, freeway-and-surface street maze that I navigated only thanks to the GPS unit, bless my little Garmin.
    I have driven more than 1500 miles eastward and a little southward, and for more than 500 of those miles, I've been in Texas. If I'd gone northwestward, I could be in Bellingham, Washington, now. Jeez, this state IS big!
   It's sultry here; I need a shower before I gas all the bugs and wildlife around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment